Thursday 27 June 2013

The Douannère finished

So they asked me to paint more realistically.  Which means slower, time consuming, plodding along.  But here is the result.  I think this painting rocks.
Il Douannière
120x80cm
oil on canvas

It looks hyper real but, like all my paintings, it decomposes as you get close.

The details show the brushstrokes and spatula knife but nothing can show the many sittings and different moods I wore as the thing developed.

I love back lighting.
I don't know when I started the actual painting of this, the brush to canvas when I sit down and look, not the preparations.  Those were almost a month ago.

This group came out well, no details, just planes of light.  Seeing the Slovenian Impressionists show at the Petit Palais was a good idea.  I was definitely impressed.

Now on to the next.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! Can you see me? I am walking behind the douannere! I like how you post your work in progress and then the finished product. It is amazing the steps and work it takes to get it from idea to painting. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi from Paris!