Sunday 1 August 2010

Art Galleries in Chelsea

The art galleries in Chelsea are hot. I remember when Soho was the gallery district, then it was Greenwich village, that was when Manhattan was dangerous. Now it is almost an amusement park.

I visited the Jenkins Johnsen Gallery and the Gallery Henoch among many. What is surprising to me about the vast majority of the art in NY is the amount of representational figurative painting,  much being cityscapes of New York. In Paris more abstract painting is present.

The underwater swimmer paintings by Eric Zener stuck in my. The figure in water is a common subject but there is nothing boring about Zener's figures. They're painted with a magnificent technique. His beach scenes remind me of the paintings by one of my favorite painters present in the Ariel Sibony Gallery in Place des Vosges in Paris, Magi Puig.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi from Paris!