Monday 19 September 2011

Times Square in the works


This is what it looked like friday evening.  
Today I should be nearly finished.  
What I learned years ago when riding my vespa to the Tuscan country side and painting watercolors from life is the importance of starting a painting with the brightest most prominent colors.  Jeanne Dobie, in her book, Making Color Sing taught me this.  How many times did you wait to add that brilliant red to the very last and when you laid down the color it killed the entire painting?  The reason why is that the surrounding colors make the color sing.  Start with the most important color, the rest is a piece of cake.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my! This looks like a very large painting. I like the lesson learned, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, it's not that big, in my book. But there is so much detail, will post the almost finished project today.

    ReplyDelete

Hi from Paris!